Shorts for repower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorts for repower

Getting ready to repower my 2003 grady white center console . Price shopping I can not beat Shorts price. My question is has anyone else used them I know price does not mean everything .

Ill keep this as nice as I can on a public forum. From personal experience, I would practice the three R's of safety and run, run, run. Id go ANYWHERE else. If you would like to know details ill tell you via PM, as not to trash them publicly. Now that I'm away from I/O's and into an outboard powered ride Ive been using almars in new castle. Absolutely the best guys hands down, and they beat most everyones price on parts.

Comment

Almars I agree

Comment

I did a repower at Shorts in 2005 and it worked out fine. Never had any problem. At the time the price on a new in box previous model year engine and rigging was untouchable. I did it in February. I have bought parts but not really service there so can't comment on that.

I do agree with others here concerning Almars. Outstanding quality shop and service. They have stuff in inventory that goes back 50 years. They can be as competitive as anyone on price if they want to.

Comment

I've never had anything serviced at Shorts (do all my own work) but have used their parts department extensively! I have nothing but good things to say about how they have treated me over the last ten years! They are my first call when I need parts!

Comment

I have to second Curt's response....when it comes to parts they have gone above and beyond with me.
            I smell fish!!

Comment

I have bought parts from Shorts with no issues. But 3 years ago I re-powered at Almar's
              Shane
              Five 4 Fighting

Comment

Unless in a bind, parts are extremely expensive at most boat dealers.
                I priced new spark plugs at shorts, they wanted $29, Lingo wanted $21 a plug. Checked amazon it was under $12.
                Then proceeded to an Auto/Marine store east of Dagsboro and purchased 6 at $14 a piece.
                Sometimes it is nice to speak to the parts people, but most of my purchases will be online from here on.
                Funny thing is, sometimes the parts purchased through Amazon actually come from Shorts. Don't understand how that logic works?

Comment

ill just throw this out there for everyone that deals with shorts. before going to their store. go on their website and look your own parts up on their OEM parts look up. write the part numbers needed and the price as stated online. take that with you when your purchasing at the store. they have a HUGE mark up if they must look up parts. my personal experience was online they wanted $200 for an alternator for a 5.7 mercruiser, in store if they looked up the part number $350. when i asked for a reason, the salesman responded that there was a mark up if they have to look up your parts. i do occationally still shop there if in a bind and have to have something, but i avoid it at all costs if possible.

Comment

Buying parts there ok if doing yourself. but do not leave them do the work unless you like to keep going back all the time.from my experience- Lingo in Millsboro for me.

Ditto on Mottoman:s advice. Went in for a prop that was $132. online from Shorts and $249. there at the store and told them I want online price as they will save on shipping and got the lower price.
                    Last edited by bigbob; 04-21-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Check out Danny's marine. A buddy just repowered with the with a pair of twin 175 Suzukis and was over 5k cheaper then shortd

Comment

Originally posted by bay_drifter View Post
                        Unless in a bind, parts are extremely expensive at most boat dealers.
                        I priced new spark plugs at shorts, they wanted $29, Lingo wanted $21 a plug. Checked amazon it was under $12.
                        Then proceeded to an Auto/Marine store east of Dagsboro and purchased 6 at $14 a piece.
                        Sometimes it is nice to speak to the parts people, but most of my purchases will be online from here on.
                        Funny thing is, sometimes the parts purchased through Amazon actually come from Shorts. Don't understand how that logic works?
                        True that the Amazon or ebay Shorts price will be lower than at the counter Been there.

On the other hand they usually have what's needed on the shelf right now. Thats not a big deal with my Mercury but with the Honda it can be a different story. Honda did some screwy stuff years back that makes it like dealing with an old Jeep. That's where they have access to the information based on serial number that ain't easy to find if at all on the internet. North Bay is closer to me but have better experience on parts with Shorts.
                        Last edited by Ridgerunner; 04-22-2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Careful guys about vendor bashing. I really do not like getting nasty emails and phone calls from irate vendors. The best policy is to recommend your favorite vendor and all else take to email or PM.
                          Thanks, Jay
                          sigpic

Comment

Try cedar creek marina

Comment

Sorry jay. If my post is out of line, please by all means remove it. I know there is a strict policy on vendor bashing, and i didn't intend to do that publicly. Just was trying to help a few guys save some bucks. I did keep my personal ranting strictly to the PM, so not to start any wars for any administrator on SF.

Comment

Working...
                              X