No announcement yet.

Mercruiser 260/350 oil leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plenty of Anti-Seize Lubricant can be a great friend when you re-assemble !!!!
    Proud parents of a US. Soldier. 15 years & still going!

Comment

This weekend I pulled the motor out. I had my cousin there to assit, who is a MMI trained Marine mechanic but got out of the business a few years ago. The motor came out fine. We hit a hiccup and had to run to Lingoís to get a shift cable kit and bushings, he replaced everything. We also need anti backflow shutters for the exhaust and replacement exhaust lower tubes. The oil pan went on just fine. When I took the old one off their were two of the oil pump bolts laying in the bottom of the pan and the other two were loose. We checked the pump and reinstalled those. Thought that was odd. The next hiccup came after installing the gimbal bearing. We went to slide the alignment tool in and the damn tool is 0.005Ē too large in diameter!! We couldnít believe it, I bought it on eBay and am trying to get ahold of the company I bought it off of now Machter-usa. So the engine is still out and I plan to get the parts and re-install in 2 weeks. Overall it went well, just burned some time running for parts and man it took me awhile to clean all the oil out of the bilge which had leaked all winter went through 2 gallons of degreaser and spray nine.
      Last edited by nick; 03-11-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I never saw the bolts fall out of an oil pump if they were torqued correctly to begin with...that is odd. For good measure I would have threw a new oil pump in the thing before installing the new pan, probably about $35 but if you had good oil pressure to begin with and already have the pan on I would not back track now. If that alignment tool is only 0.005 off would it be possible to take a piece of Emory cloth and sand the heck out of it until it slipped in? Might take some elbow grease but you could probably knock enough off and still keep it in round enough shape to do the job. I know you said you were OK with the pump out method but I would still reconsider installing a drain tube on the drain plug while you have the beast out. I R&R'd an engine once and kicked myself for not doing this. I could never really get all the oil out of the engine with the suck out method. A tube would allow for more complete draining of the oil while making the job a hell of a lot less complicated. Good work so far Nick...I knew you could do it.
        Last edited by Justified Expense; 03-13-2018, 05:14 AM.
        I smell fish!!

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106N-Engine-Drain-Valve/dp/B003T7XUE4

http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/...alve/index.php
          Last edited by mr.breeze; 03-13-2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Jim,
            Interesting product. Thanks for the link.
            sigpic

Comment

That is actually the same setup I used. Very slick setup if you can reach the drain plug in the bottom of the pan. I also use a similar one on a 15ltr caterpillar to make oil changes tool free and much cleaner then removing drain plugs. Id pull the plug in the spring on Friday and let it drain until sunday before we fired the engine the first time for the year.

Comment

Stuff happens all the time. The last guy to bolt in that oil pump may not have finished what he started.

Comment

Comment

Jim, that is what they use at the repair shop that I visit, it sure saves a lot of problems from happening later on.

Comment

I kept loosing the zinc over the prop of my Yammy. Guy at Shorts told me to use the stuff and I haven't lost one since.

Comment

Well I got all additional parts on order. I knew this one was going to grow legs but overall still saving a ton. Ordered new thermostat housing/kit, y hose, lower exhaust bellows, shutters and a new trim tilt pump motor. Fun stuff, hope they come in this week and sheís all buttoned back up this weekend.

Comment

Well I got it all back together and it runs good. Itís funny how the things you think will be hard are easy and the little unexpected crap takes time. The engine dropped back it easy, got it all lined up. Lesson #1: The rear mount bolts have nuts, those nuts slide into a housing on the transom assembly which keeps them from spinning as you thread the bolts on...make sure the nuts are slid in that housing slot before dropping the engine in place! I didnít and they were a bitch to slide it there with my fingers/a needle nose pliers!
                          Lesson #2: Buy a Thermostat Housing Assembly Kit that actually comes with a damn thermostat!! Haha, the kit I bought had everything but a thermostat, luckily the old one still works fine so I just popped it out and used that to test run the engine.
                          Lesson #3: I ended up needed a large hex to remove one of those temporary threaded plugs in the top of the new thermostat housing. Had to run out to Bethany Auto and get a 1/2Ē drive socket and a whole large hex socket set = $57!!
                          Lesson #4: Make sure the starter solinoid is grounded or else when you go to turn the key all you here is the starter whirling and you get a moment of panic until you realize what is happening (or rather not happening!).

Putting the outdrive back on and adjusting the shift cable correctly went well but thatís only because I had someone explain to me the fine particulars and I read the procedure a few times. If you donít pay attention to the details it will be a real hassle. I used a bungee cord to keep the prop engaged in forward when installing the outdrive and again when adjusting the shift cable.

Comment

Good Job, Mate!
                            sigpic

Comment

Great write up. Gotta love those tools. I got a big pile that way and have even used some more than once.

Comment

Makes you feel good when it goes back together and runs.
                                Good job!!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X