40 hp yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 hp yamaha

Have had 40 hp e-tec on my 17 Carolina skiff for last 14 yrs think it’s about done looking at 40 Hp Yamaha replacement saw a video on you tube made it look like Yamaha had hard time getting a boat on plane . Had no problem with e-tec but like quietness of Yamaha and price and reliability . Any info or experience would be appreciated . Also know Evinrude went bankrupt

Everyone has an opinion- here's mine. The Yamaha four strokes are ridiculously reliable. And they're quiet. Two good reasons to replace with a Yamaha.

Here's another consideration for youi- what is the maximum allowable hp for your boat? 40 hp seems low for a 17 footer. There's a lot to be said for having some extra horsepower hanging on the transom. You may not need or use it all the time, but when you go out loaded heavier, or if your load isn't evenly distributed bow to stern, it's nice to have the extra hp. Not suggesting you need to step up to the maximum allowed, but if your budget allows, I'd consider more than 40 hp.

Comment

Thanks for response yeah think 50 max with tiller 70 with console so trying to go to 50 I like the tilled for my boat no wasted space

Comment

I'm as unbiased as they come. I'd talk with an independent mechanic that actually works on them before dropping the coin. A guy that has no reason to BS They have no dog in the hunt. Just one guys opinion

Comment

Bought a 2019 Honda
          5 year warranty

Pretty Quiet

Comment

Bayside Marine in Milford has the Tohatsu franchise. Dave Ptak is the best. Check it out: https://www.tohatsu.com/marine/int/o...ds/MFS50A.html

If I repower then I am going with Dave.
            sigpic

Comment

look into a yamaha T40 or T50 put a T50 on a 20' pontoon and very happy with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by onebluelew View Post
                Have had 40 hp e-tec on my 17 Carolina skiff for last 14 yrs think it’s about done looking at 40 Hp Yamaha replacement saw a video on you tube made it look like Yamaha had hard time getting a boat on plane . Had no problem with e-tec but like quietness of Yamaha and price and reliability . Any info or experience would be appreciated . Also know Evinrude went bankrupt
                You have to remember that four strokes are heavier then two strokes so maybe the added weight made the difference or was the hull a different type in the video then yours.

Ron
                http://www.bluedogfishing.com
                DMS #288

Comment

If a 40hp cannot get your 17' boat on plane easy something is wrong with the set up not the hp
                  Team Black Bart

Comment

Working...
                  X