Interesting tool....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting tool....

I spend my mornings (6am or so) hanging out with old salts in Bowers. Today I saw a improvised tool that made me smile. Guess what it is used for... Click image for larger version

Name:	frenchies device.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	212537
    sigpic

Jay,

Good seeing you tonight. Going to guess it is used to split corks in some way.

Dewayne

Comment

open oysters
      sigpic

Comment

Well I see an electric cord in the background so I would guess the hole saw part of the thing spins, with the white powder on the inside I would guess to open bait clams? How this thing would do that I can't imagine.
        I smell fish!!

Comment

Agree with reelbuddy.

Comment

It is motorized. It is used to grind the lip of a stubborn oyster so you may shuck from the front instead of the hinge.
            sigpic

Comment

I got a bu of De. bay oysters a week ago and they were very good. I got them right off the boat and you could hardly open them from the hinge end. I used a hammer and broke thru from the fromt side to open them. I want to build a oyster jack, that's the tool for opening them..

Comment

Ben, I was given an oyster jack by my wife for Christmas, 2 years ago. Even had a shucking contest with Frenchie. He won but not by much... The problem with them is you have to handle the oyster twice. You are Welcome to borrow or check out the design.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks Jay, I have seen it and just get off my butt and make one.

Comment

Working...
                  X