Tidal Finfish Advisory Council - Synopsis- April 19th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidal Finfish Advisory Council - Synopsis- April 19th

Good informative meeting. Great to see Bob Smallwood and Rob come. Got off to a raucous start with Marvin Kahl pushing me
    off the stage in my chair. Arse over teacups... Har!. I sit on the end of the table and moved slightly as Marvin took his seat only to slide off the stage. Down I went... Wheee. I will likely not hear the end of that one.
    So...
    1. We will switch our schedule to Quarterly meetings unless it is necessary to meet more frequently.

2. Revocation of Commercial fishing licenses discussion. Long discussion deciding if the TFFAC would provide input to the Director. Motion made and carried that if a commercial fishermen was convicted on more than 3 "occurrences" in a calendar year then the Director would bring that case up to us for review and advice. The sticky issue was counting number of violations versus "Occurrence" or incidents to violations. Think about that for a moment. The recreational side was more complex as the Director gas the discretion to revoke or deny a recreational license for any single violation. This is handled internal @ the department level by enforcement's recommendations to the Director. We decided the TFFAC had no role in changing this process.

3. Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Council (ASFMC)
    Tautog may be regulated regionally. We would be grouped with MD and VA. The problem is we have a 15 inch size and the other states are 16 inch. The good news as that ASFMC has determined that the stock is not overfished.Stay tuned for public hearing for 2018 regulations.

4. Summer Flounder the conservation plan will likely stand @ 17inches and 4 with no closure. This is still dependant on NMFS approval. I will let Rob or Bob explain this complex situation concerning Federal waters.

5. Black Seabass - No Change see previously discussed thread.

6. Striped Bass - looks like a liberalized quota for rec.s and comm.s in 2018

That is about it. Some information given on Sheephead regulation s in neighboring states.

Mid Atlantic Council. John Clark gave the report for Stew but I forgot to get his notes. I do remember that he stated Golden Tilefish are not overfished which led to a few rolling eyes....

As always this is written from scant notes and a failing memory. Additional comments, substitutions or deletions are encouraged.

Jay
    sigpic

Thanks for the info Jay. You still in one piece after stage diving?

Ron
    http://www.bluedogfishing.com
    DMS #288

Comment

Jay, thanks for the report.
      That's all she wrote.

Comment

Thanks Jay.

Some additional notes regarding #4 Summer flounder.
        The measure released yesterday by NOAA was put out as a fall back coast wide regulation (4 fish @ 19" with short open season for charter and headboat operations) IF all states do not agree to comply and submit their regional quota recommendations. Specifically mentioned was NJ who as a whole wants to keep last years rule and NOT go with the 30 or 40% reduction.

IF they chose to continue to hold out either one of two thing will happen: 1) they will close the flounder fishery in that region OR 2) the whole coast will be forced to follow the coast wide rule.

Mr John Clark seemed to think it was very likely they will chose to comply and take the reductions and be in compliance. Let hope they follow through.

#5 Seabass: Recreational quota has will not be increased because northern areas are hammering them and have been over quota for the last two years (2016 data has not been officially released yet but is close). I think it was mention we only catch (rec) in this area 10% to the total.

As stated previously the quota is still divided up 51% rec 49% commercial.

Couple of other notes: Seabass are not be exported. It's all domestic sales AND on a positive note they are considering a rule to open the winter fishery...stay tuned on that.

Oyster farming: On May 2nd there will be a lottery opening up some lease areas in Rehoboth bay. No areas in IR bay are to be opened up due to shellfish closures due to water quality.

More notes regarding Commercial reporting to follow.
        Last edited by RM2; 04-20-2017, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Got this last night from MAFMC, note the 4:00 to 4:30 item is to consider an experimental opening of the winter fishery for Seabass:

Agenda for May 10th meeting:
          Joint Council Meeting with ASMFC Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass Board in Alexandria, VA: May 10, 2017

The public is invited to attend a joint meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council and the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission’s Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass Board to be held on May 10, 2017 in Alexandria, Virginia. The meeting will be held at The Westin Alexandria, 400 Courthouse Square, Alexandria, VA, 22314, Telephone (703) 253-8600.

Meeting Materials: Briefing documents will be posted at http://ww.mafmc.org/briefing/may-2017 as they become available.

Public Comments: Written comments received byThursday, April 27, 2017 will be included in the Council meeting briefing book. Comments received after this deadline but before close of business on Thursday, May 4, 2017 will be posted as “supplemental materials” on the Council meeting web page. After that date, all comments must be submitted using an online comment form. Comments submitted via the online form will be automatically posted to the website and available for Council consideration. A link to this form will be available at http://www.mafmc.org/public-comment. Late comments will no longer be distributed to Council members via email.

Webinar: Webinar connection information will be posted at http://ww.mafmc.org/briefing/may-2017 prior to the meeting.

Agenda
          Wednesday, May 10th

1:00 p.m. Welcome/Call to Order

1:15 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Scup Quota Period Framework (Framework 10 to the Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass FMP)
          • Final action
          2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Comprehensive Summer Flounder Amendment
          • Review draft range of alternatives for commercial issues
          • Approve range of alternatives for further development and inclusion in a public hearing document
          3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Review Implementation of 2017 Summer Flounder and Black Sea Bass Recreational Measures

4:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Black Sea Bass Wave 1 Fishery
          • Review white paper on potential experimental recreational Wave 1 black sea bass fishery
          • Consider postponed motion to allow experimental wave 1 for-hire fishery: Motion to allow an experimental 2018 January/February (wave one), recreational, federally permitted for-hire fishery for black sea bass with a 15 fish per person possession limit, a suspended minimum size limit, and a zero discard policy to allow for barotrauma, and a mandatory trip reporting requirement.
          4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Review Board White Paper on Summer Flounder Recreational Specifications

5:30 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. Other Business/Adjourn

Web Version / PDF Version

Comment

Notes on reporting: It was brought up at the meeting that there have been spikes of reported catches.

Why? so permit holders don't lose their permit renewals.
            Two mentioned were eel catch reports have spiked way beyond what is being sold.
            Tile fish reports are suspect that catches are being reported caught by those who hold permits but haven't fished for them so they are eligible to renew permits.

Some regulatory notes brought up:

As far as recreational fishermen go: Any single convicted violation can in addition to fines, at the directors digression allow for revocation of fishing license privileges for up to one year.
            The Director did say this (a revocation) hasn't happened yet because there have been no reports of repeat offenders.

A clarification was made on how violations were handed out when boarded vessels were checked: Head and party boats they usually will hand out violations individually and not hold Captains and mates responsible since it is more difficult to see what people are putting in their coolers. So if you fish on a head boat, you are responsible for your catch. The mates can assist but if you get popped, you pay the fine.

Charter and individual boats they can and will fine who's running the boat.

Comment

One last thing that was brought up at the meeting that has nothing to do with TFAC but just something one of the board members was helping a college student on who happens to be an avid fisher-woman, sorry I don't recall her name, was the possibility of a speciality license plate with the state fish on it. I think they said it could be available as early as this fall.

Comment

Also one other thing Rob and Jay forgot. Jay received a perfect ten for the dive off the stage! Very scary till saw he was ok. If any one saw laugh in back in the day think of the tricycle guy falling over. To funny! But glad all was well and I enjoyed the meeting and will attend all I can in the future. Very disappointing Rob opened it up to question from this group and not one. Well we had a couple and got good answers and they also know we are involved. Hopefully the wave 1 sea bass can become a reality. The flounder is very concerning. Lets hope it goes the way Mr Clark feels it will go. Thanks to Jay for speaking up. He does a great job and is real advocate for us. I also was very impressed by the commercial side of the council and there thoughts on quota. Overall glad I went.
                Never had a bad day, bad weeks, bad months and bad years, but never a bad day, if i was fishing!

Comment

Thank you Capt Bob for speaking up as well. Me, I was busy taking notes and just about brain dead from a long day to think of the right words to say and not sounding like an idiot. Looking forward to the next meeting in September.

Comment

Thank you all for the information and I'm glad most of my fishing is catch and release, these regs are getting confusing. Jay be careful you could bust a hip with a fall like that, you know how us older folk have to be careful avoiding breaking them. I was just showing Wendy the area they were going to put the oyster farming on Thursday while we were putting hours on the new engine. I would think it wouldn't matter as much putting the splat in, I would think the oysters would help filter the water, wasn't that one of the selling points? After listening to Dave at Lurefest, I became more of a proponent of them getting it started, hope it gets straightened out soon.
                    Indian River Marina Fishing reports: indianrivermarina.blogs.delaware.gov/

Comment

Working...
                    X