• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good idea!

Comment

Good advice!
      sigpic

Comment

Hippie- the inlet is a fairly short drift to make it worth the effort, but on the bay and ocean that situation you decribed is one of the times I'll throw out a sea anchor so it catches the tide and drags the boat along with it.
        Always willing to learn more.

Comment

right-hook, that would solve the problem and keep the leader/bait where it belongs. Thank you!

Comment

I find this stuff interesting and while fishing, I'm always focused on trying to figure out what the heck is going on down there with my rig. I think that at times what we think it looks like isn't anything like reality. The only way we're really going to know is to put one of those fishing cams down there in front of the rig. I may just invest some time in that over the next year - we'll see.

Permit me to throw a monkey wrench into the "drift anchor" strategy though.

If I am correct in my previous assumption that in a wind against tide situation the bait is (1) down-current from the sinker, (2) facing up-current, the way a real bait should, and (3) slipping backward with the current while facing into it (also a realistic situation that a baitfish could be found in) then then a drift anchor might make things worse.

If we assume for now that the bait is not at the level of the sinker, and instead is hanging off a dropper loop 10 inches or so ABOVE the sinker and is at the end of an 18 inch leader, then the bait would normally be suspended off the bottom because of the difference between the boat speed-over-ground and the current speed. The force that this difference applies to the bait is what lifts it. Once you put out a drift anchor to bring speed-over-ground closer to the speed of the current I think you're bringing the bait closer to a situation where it just falls to the bottom in a tangled pile of line that gets wrapped around your sinker and rolls with the sinker - almost like when we fish on the ocean when there's absolutely no drift. How many times have we reeled our line in under those no-drift conditions to find it in a tangled mess. And how many times have we had the line come up the same way even when the boat WAS drifting? I would guess that in that case, the boat's actual drift direction was the same direction - or close to the same direction - as the tide/current in those cases.

Well, I think those drifting situations where we get a tangled mess are, for all intents and purposes, the same kind of thing we could expect when using a drift anchor.

I could be wrong. I admit that. But without visual proof this is all I can come up with.

In the wind-against-tide situation that Hippie described, I would either:

(1) tie on 6+ ounces of sinker and power-drift into the current so that my speed-over-ground is low, but enough to let me make headway to the West (against the current).
            or
            (2) Power drift forward at idle (slowest) speed - with the bow INTO the current - and allow the boat to lose the battle against current while I zig-zag back and forth across the channel if possible. Since I'm being swept with the current to a certain extent, I'd use a heavier sinker than normal, but not necessarily 6+ oz.

I hate tying on weight like that, so I would only do it if I were desperate. But I know guys up here in NJ that do this all the time in conjunction with power-drifting and they out-catch others. it's a lot of work and it's a relatively unsatisfying method of fishing to me, but I don't know about you guys. Your call. I've personally had "bust" days turn into good ones when I got pissed off enough to strap on serious weight, power up and motor INTO a stiff wind. It was amazing how I immediately started getting bit when I did that.

Anyway, something to ponder. Hope I didn't confuse things. Like I said, I like thinking about stuff like this: it's part of the mystery of fishing that makes it challenging to me.
            Last edited by DaveChina; 01-15-2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X