Black Sea Bass reopens or February

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Sea Bass reopens or February

NOAA Fisheries Seeks Comments on Proposed February 2018 Recreational Black Sea Bass Fishery

January 8, 2018 The following was released by NOAA Fisheries:

NOAA Fisheries seeks comments on a proposed recreational February 2018 black sea bass fishery. The proposed action would provide additional recreational black sea bass fishing opportunities.

In 2015, black sea bass was the second most landed finfish in the Atlantic U.S. recreational fishery (12.9 million fish). The December 2016 black sea bass stock assessment determined that the black sea bass stock north of Cape Hatteras is not overfished, overfishing is not occurring, and biomass was 129% above the biomass target. The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council and the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission considered and discussed several options to increase recreational fishing access for black sea bass in the winter when fewer other recreational species are available to target.

Both the Council and Commission approved the recommendation to create a 2018 winter recreational season for the month of February only. The existing recreational measures of a 15 fish per angler possession limit and a 12.5-inch minimum fish size would be maintained for this additional season.

Coming real soon Rehoboth Star ..... Southside Indian River Inlet Marina

That's great news! I may have to schedule a trip...
    tight lines

Comment

This proposal was discussed during the black sea bass hearing on Wednesday January 3 in Lewes. there was no support for a February season. I have since spoken with two charter captains and they don't support a February season because we would have to pay back with a shorter black sea bass season in the spring or fall. Also the chances of having a suitable weather day for running 30 to 40 miles offshore to find any sea bass was slim.
      I don't think Delaware will support the February season, but New Jersey might. All of this is just proposals until the ASMFC and the Mid-Atlantic Council take a vote.

Comment

I don't get it, why is February so important to fish Sea Bass? Out of the days that would be used because of weather you are just shortening the regular season from what I can see.
        Am I missing something here??? It just does not make sense to me to open February. Who wants this?

Ron
        http://www.bluedogfishing.com
        DMS #288

Comment

Ron, I believe New Jersey was the state behind this proposal. As I said before, there is no, or very little, support for the idea in Delaware. New Jersey can have their February season without affecting any other state.

Comment

I will state right here and now that I commented against this on NMFS proposals comments link. Like that makes any difference

I know of no one that benefits from this.

It's just more BS and I'm sick and tired of the whole business. The feds make these messes then creates this crap like they're doing us a big favor. NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedogfishing View Post
              I don't get it, why is February so important to fish Sea Bass? Out of the days that would be used because of weather you are just shortening the regular season from what I can see.
              Am I missing something here??? It just does not make sense to me to open February. Who wants this?

Ron
              Ron you can catch some real nice Seabass in the winter when they are stacked up on deep water structure . I'm talking 3-7 lb fish . Who cares about loosing 28 days in july or august ? Only people I can think of are people who can't catch flounder !

Coming real soon Rehoboth Star ..... Southside Indian River Inlet Marina

Comment

I'b be in favor of it if we had enough boats that are willing to run during February.

Comment

Originally posted by Striperkiller View Post
                  Who cares about loosing 28 days in july or august?
                  I wanted to verify with my notes before I replied but I believe the most they would take off was 3 or 4 days off the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
                    It's just more BS and I'm sick and tired of the whole business. The feds make these messes then creates this crap like they're doing us a big favor. NOT.
                    I agree it is a mess. But, now that I have a better understanding of the process we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
                    Problem: The current ad-hoc stock allocations are based on a target quota system (this is the short version of a 2 page document).

Point being people want what they want but are unwilling to do what's needed to get it.

I offered to post all documents and graphs with my best recollection of how the proposals work but sadly got zero response.
                    So, it is what it is.
                    Last edited by RM2; 01-11-2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Thank you Rob. While I was unable to attend the meetings, I was amazed at the age and quality of data or lack thereof on the website. Since they really can't tell what the stock status is, it seems as if they are doing this to appease some group or another with the assumption of minimal impact to the stock.

Steve is right it can be good fishing, but with 7 days to make ready for a 28 day season it's a financially questionable business opportunity. It would be a pleasant February if half the days are fishable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
                        it seems as if they are doing this to appease some group or another with the assumption of minimal impact to the stock.
                        Actually IMO it's they are forced to work with "best available data". Funding new research cost $$$.

Unless more people say other wise it was unanimous vote at the meeting to get and use better data, then unfortunately is when it turns political asking for money to get the data.
                        I guess we'll see what happens next if this gets the funding or reverts back to what's in place now.

Comment

I agree there are structural problems with the agencies. Said it many times IMO this doesn't belong under the Department of Commerce. We don't have any other wildlife resource managed there.

Comment

Should be open all year, IMO, but it's nice to have an option for fishing in the winter. Stripers are long gone, winter flounder are nonexistent, tilefish are closed, tog are totally hit or miss.

tight lines

Comment

Working...
                            X