circle hooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circle hooks

Read an article that CIRCLE HOOKS must be used for stripers when using BAIT effective Jan. 1

I think this is a good thing. They should be used when drifting for Flounder and Seabass in the bay and ocean too.
    That's all she wrote.

Comment

Circle hooks should be used when fishing with bait for almost everything except tog and triggerfish.

Comment

I see you mentioned triggerfish, how about tog, will circle hooks even help with these ninja fish?

Comment

This may sound crazy but I have more flounder swallow circle hooks than j hooks. Unusual because I am a lazy fisherman and leave my rods in the rod holders while drifting for flounder.
          I recently caught 7 throw back stripers and all were caught on j hooks and all were hooked in the corner of the jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by beachman View Post
            This may sound crazy but I have more flounder swallow circle hooks than j hooks. Unusual because I am a lazy fisherman and leave my rods in the rod holders while drifting for flounder.
            I recently caught 7 throw back stripers and all were caught on j hooks and all were hooked in the corner of the jaw.
            What size circle hooks are you using? I use 4/0 and 5/0 when Flounder and Seabass fishing. I seldom have a fish swallow a hook.
            That's all she wrote.

Comment

I would have a lot of trouble using a circle hook for flounder fishing with minnows, maybe with spot though. The way flounder will strike can be different and that doesn’t lend itself well to circle hooks. I would also never be able to train myself to not set the hook there’s just no way can teach myself that new trick I’d be pulling the hook out of the flounders mouth all of the time for sure.

Comment

oldsnow I use the same size.

Comment

Do you think the octopus hooks count as a circle hook when fishing with spot or do they require a true circle hook?

Comment

Is this for the whole state of Delaware? I know after April first (I think that's the date) fishing any live bait North of and including the South jetty in the Delaware river requires a circle hook when targeting Striper, but they would like you yo use them for all fish. And it must be a straight circle hook not the off-set kind. There are two kinds of circle hooks. I have never had a fish swallow a circle hook.

Ron
                    http://www.bluedogfishing.com
                    DMS #288

Comment

Working...
                    X